Each year, MacLachlan College accepts a number of international students from all over the world. International students choose MacLachlan because it has earned an excellent reputation for academic achievement while offering small class sizes, an extensive ESL program, co-curricular opportunities and more.
- MacLachlan’s Integrated ESL Program occurs within the school year. All ESL courses at MacLachlan College provide opportunities for students to develop proficiency in English in the four basic language skills; listening, speaking, reading and writing. In addition, students will gain knowledge of their new environment that is necessary for successful integration into the school and community.
- In grades 9 to 11 students who successfully complete ESL courses are eligible to earn credits towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
- Core ESL Classes: Upon arrival at MacLachlan College, the student’s level of English proficiency will be assessed by the Director of International Studies to ensure appropriate placement in the various ESL classes. In the Upper School (Grades 9 to 11), MacLachlan offers ESL credit courses based on the Ontario Curriculum. Some additional fees may be required if additional tutorials and/or direct instruction is required.
- MacLachlan College retains the services of International Student Guardianship Canada (ISGC) to provide homestay services for international students who want to live with a Canadian family. Homestay families are carefully screened and take a personal interest in the students who are in their care. They participate in the program because they value global awareness, cultural diversity, leadership, education, family and community. We put great emphasis in connecting our international students with the right host families to ensure a comfortable transition to their new environment. We understand that a positive and supportive homestay experience greatly influences student success. Students are treated as an extended member of the family. This gives the student the opportunity to further develop their English language skills and learn about the Canadian culture. It is not uncommon that the bonds made between students and host families endure for many years and lifelong friendships are made.
- Homestays are governed by clear rules and curfews that are monitored by the school and ISGC. Homestay parents will act on behalf of the international student’s family to care for his or her general welfare including meals, health and safety. Although we try to place international students in close proximity to the school, transportation to and from the school is the responsibility of the student; school bus service or public transport is readily available.
- The Town of Oakville is a safe and vibrant family-oriented community located on the shores of Lake Ontario. With a mid-sized population of approximately 200,000, it offers an abundance of community recreation facilities, parks, trails, shopping, entertainment and restaurants. In 2018, moneysense.ca named Oakville the best place to live in Canada.
- A non-refundable $250 CAD application fee must accompany each application for admission.
- The one-time, non-refundable New Student Enrollment fee of $2,000 is payable when the offer of admission is accepted.
- Fees received are used for capital purposes at the discretion of the Board of Governors.
- Tuition is due in full upon acceptance.
- To confirm a place for September 2022, 50% of the total tuition is due with the re-registration forms on February 1, 2022. The remaining balance is due July 1, 2022.
- Admission is based on review of report cards, reference reports and interview with MacLachlan’s Director of International Studies. If a personal interview is not possible, a virtual interview will be scheduled. The ESL placement test will be administered at the start of the school year.
- If vacancies cannot be confirmed at the time of the application, the student’s name will be placed on the wait list. The school will notify the student when space is available and fees must be paid in full at that time to reserve the space. Current MacLachlan students re-register by February 1st. Vacancies will be assigned from the waiting list.
- The application should be made to the school well in advance of your desired entry date. A non-refundable application fee of $250.00 for International students must accompany each application.
READY TO GET STARTED?
We are so thrilled you are interested in MAC.
Begin your application process by filling out an International Student Online Inquiry Form.
HOW TO APPLY
The following procedures and documents must be completed to be considered for admission. Items 1- 6 are completed through the application stage of the admissions process. All documents must be provided in English. Items 8 and 9 must be completed upon arrival to Canada.
Online international application inquiry form submitted by the student’s parent, guardian or agent. A username and password will be sent to the parent, guardian and/or agent to begin the online international application.
Copy of final school reports for the last two school years provided in English.
Copy of passport showing date of birth
Confidential School Reference form completed by the student’s current school and forwarded directly to MacLachlan
Recent photograph of the student
Once the online application and all supporting documents are received a virtual interview will be scheduled with our Director of International Studies.
Copy of student study permit and student visa/authorization and date of entry to Canada
ESL placement test (conducted on Orientation Day prior to the start of the new school year)